Balinese New Year – known as Nyepi Day – falls on Wednesday, 9 March 2016. Our Indonesia office will be closed from 8 – 10 March 2016.
Nyepi is known as “Silence Day” because on this day the island of Bali is completely silent for 24 hours. The Nyepi Day will start at 6:00am on 9 March and will end at 6:00am on 10 March.
• Airports and harbours will be closed for both domestic and international travel. No planes will land or take off for 24 hours.
• All shops and offices are closed.
• No one is allowed on the beach or on the streets.
• No motor vehicles are allowed (except ambulances, police, and in case of emergencies).
• At night, all lights will be turned off.
Hotel guests are asked to remain on the hotel premises and are free to enjoy the hotel facilities as usual. There may be a limitation to some services, and hotel staff will provide guests with information about various activities that will be arranged inside the hotels.
The day before, on 8 March 2016, there will be a parade followed by a procession of Ogoh–ogoh…distinctly Balinese giant, paper monsters. During the parade all streets will be closed.
On 10 March 2016 Balinese Hindus visit family members, neighbors and relatives to exchange forgiveness – similar to the Muslim’s Ied Al Fitri custom in other parts of Indonesia.
We thank you for making the right travel arrangements for your clients and for informing them about these considerations in advance.